May 30, 2008

45 - 50 degrees

Very little separates Spring & Summer in Doha. As the warmth increases after winter, it is pleasant for a few days. The lingering memory of the cold blends with the slightly warm sunshine. The petunias, marigolds and the other flowers that line the roads, thrive in this combination and the drive through the traffic becomes an enjoyable experience. The colour soothes.
Then suddenly we are taken by surprise at the strength of the desert sun. He bears down hard. Summer makes a hot entry. The flowers start to wilt and so do we. The sun is up at 4.30 and by 6.30 in the morn, it is like noon. The air conditioner softens the harsh effect. If you have to move about in the sun , then it is like being being in a sauna.
Teaching in these conditions is tough. The air conditioner is not strong enough for a motley class. Concentrating becomes tougher for the teacher as well as the students, in the afternoon. I too wait for the 1.30 bell.
Now, it is not the end. There is still the bus ride in the midst of high pitched crowd of about 50 children. They are now full of energy & talking non-stop. Sweat streams from their faces but it does not make them uncomfortable. I frown at the trickle running down my spine. The baked bus cannot be cooled enough for our comfort and so, the children put down the windows. A slight breeze now blows and it forms a refreshing cloak around me. But soon, it turns into hot air. I feel I am in a suffocating sauna. Luckily, I am one of the first to get off and I run to the comfort of home.

No comments: